Thursday, March 8, 2012

ARC Review: Die For Me by Amy Plum


Die For Me (Revenants, #1)

Die For Me by Amy Plum
Now Available!!!
HarperTeen
Source: ARC received for review

Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads: 
In the City of Lights, two star-crossed lovers battle a fate that is destined to tear them apart again and again for eternity. 

When Kate Mercier's parents die in a tragic car accident, she leaves her life--and memories--behind to live with her grandparents in Paris. For Kate, the only way to survive her pain is escaping into the world of books and Parisian art. Until she meets Vincent. 

Mysterious, charming, and devastatingly handsome, Vincent threatens to melt the ice around Kate's guarded heart with just his smile. As she begins to fall in love with Vincent, Kate discovers that he's a revenant--an undead being whose fate forces him to sacrifice himself over and over again to save the lives of others. Vincent and those like him are bound in a centuries-old war against a group of evil revenants who exist only to murder and betray. Kate soon realizes that if she follows her heart, she may never be safe again.

My Thoughts:

I realize that this title has been out for a while now (almost a year) but I had my ARC on my TBR pile for a while and then I received a copy of Until I Die through a trade and figured "Hayley you gotta get on this!" haha.

I really enjoyed Die For Me, I found it to be a breezy read, but I also felt a little down while reading it, as the main character, Kate, seems to suffer from bouts of depression. Not that this isn't warranted however, I mean she has recently lost her parents and been up-routed across the globe, but I just felt bummed out while reading these scenes.

Vincent seems too good to be true. He's a handsome, caring, gentleman- very Edward'esq! And I really do like him, but I kind of feel like I might be leaning more towards team Jules- am I alone here with this one? Seriously he's got it all, the looks, brains and he seems more outgoing and down-to-earth than Vincent to me. I'm actually very curious to see where Amy will take this relationship, who knows, I could be reading way too much into it :)

I really enjoyed the concept behind this series, instead of Zombies we have Revenants- I'm actually ashamed to admit that I didn't even realize that this series was about Zombies until I read the synopsis for Until I Die. Shame on me, I know! 

Amy does have a fresh take on the whole Zombie/Immortal, they do die but they come back as the age they originally died (love this!)

One thing that also irked about Kate, was her treatment of her older sister, Georgia, I kind of felt that she was trying to portray Georgia as this self-absorbed partier, but it felt like Kate was the selfish sister. I mean, you know your sister is in danger but Vincent says "She's human, no one will care enough to harm her" and that's good enough for her. You just met this man and you keep ditching your sister (and leaving her in danger) to hang out with you boyfriend, it just irked me a bit. 

Ok I realize I've been complaining quite a bit about this book, but I actually did really enjoy it and do plan on reading the next installment (look for a review of Until I Die later this month :)) I'm hoping the romance will heat up a bit more in book 2.

I would recommend this book to all those who enjoy a good YA Paranormal read.

What did you think of this book? Are you team Vincent or Jules? I'm really curious if I'm the only one haha

HAPPY READING!!!

3 comments:

  1. Great review! I read this one last year and I'm excited for Until I Die. I'm so not the Zombie type either; but I really like Amy's unique spin on things. Thanks for sharing :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Laura! I'll be posting my review of Until I Die sometime at the end of this month :)

      Delete
  2. I've heard so many good things about this series! I definitely want to start it this year. And I want to meet Amy! Thanks for your review! :D

    <3,
    - Ava

    ReplyDelete