Wednesday, June 12, 2013

ARC Review: White Trash Beautiful by Teresa Mummert

White Trash Beautiful
by: Teresa Mummert
Release date: July 9th/13.
Publisher: Gallery Books 
Pre-order here.
Source: E-galley courtesy of Edelweiss
Genre: New Adult
White Trash Beautiful on Goodreads here.
Synopsis courtesy of Goodreads:
A word-of-mouth bestseller that’s captivating readers with its honesty, grit, and headstrong heroine, White Trash Beautiful is a story for anyone who has ever felt trapped in life, cheated by love—and longed for something more . . .

Cass Daniels isn’t waiting for her knight in shining armor. She knows that girls like her don’t get a happily ever after. Not if you live in a trailer with your mom, work at a greasy spoon diner, and get leered at by old men. Maybe that’s why she puts up with Jackson—her poor excuse for a boyfriend, who treats her like dirt. Cass has learned to accept her lot in life. That is, until he walks into her diner. . . .

His name is Tucker White, and he’s different from any man Cass has ever known. Tall, tattooed, and bad-ass gorgeous, he’s the lead singer of the rock band Damaged. From the moment they meet, Tucker sees something in Cass he just can’t shake. Something beautiful. Something haunted. Something special. And he’s determined to find out what it is—if only he can get her to open up and let him in. . . .


My Thoughts:
A Cinderella story, with a modern, angsty twist.

There's no glass shoes in this New Adult release, but there are plenty of run-down trailers. Cass definitely hasn't had easy growing up. She was forced to assume the parental role over her Mom, at a very young age. I found Cass a very relatable heroine, I understood her insecurities and her wants for a better life for her and her Mom. I even understood why she continued to stay with Jackson for so long (he wasn't always the jerk he's become), however I do think she should have left this guy in the dust a while back (but I won't say anymore for fear of becoming to spoilery).

Enter Prince Charming, a.k.a. sexy Rock God, Tucker White. I feel like sighing just thinking about Tucker, I loved everything about him and really wish I could keep him for myself, but I don't think Cass would appreciate that to much, haha. You never doubt Tucker's true intentions towards Cass while reading White Trash Beautiful (even when she's doubting them).  And while the instant love and attraction between these two does border on cliche and a bit cheesy, Mummert has done such a great job creating believable and enviable sexual chemistry, that you'll love each and every Romantic cliche.

Be prepared, this book isn't all sunshine and roses, there's a lot of heartache and loss, with little resolution. I may have cried a bit at one particular scene towards the end.

I really can't recommend this book enough to New Adult and Romance fans, I loved everything about it- literally one of my favourite reads of this year! Cass is a very relatable character- she's stronger than she gives herself credit for and has built so many emotional walls around herself, she's become numb from all the physical and emotional pain she's endured in her young life. But Tucker is the rock she wants and needs- a swoon-worthy hero, set on rescuing his damsel in distress (and yes I'm well aware of the infinite number of cliche's used in this review- o wait, that just might be another one :)). 

I was rooting for these two throughout all of White Trash Beautiful, and I'm so relieved that their journey isn't over. I need White Trash Damaged in my hands right now, right now! I just want to take a moment to thank Simon and Schuster for pushing up the release date to this Fall, because I'm really not sure I would've made it to 2014! Haha!

Romance/NA junkies will devour this delicious summer title!

Happy Reading!!!

1 comment:

  1. I read this a few months ago and I enjoyed it. Cass reminded me of my sister, she has a boyfriend that treats her just like Jackson. I never understood why she stays with the idiot. I'm glad Cass finally wised up and got her a Prince Charming. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete